About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Piano Practice

Today, I was transported back in my mind three decades or so—my granddaughters were preparing for their weekly piano lessons. The older one has been taking lessons for about a year, and the younger one just started five or six weeks ago. They are so much like their mother and aunt and it causes several emotions to surface in me.

I realize that learning to read music is much like learning a foreign language. I remind the girls that they could never read a book had they not learned the letters that made up the words. I preach to them that a reader must know EVERY letter, not just the easier ones but even the q’s and z’s. A reader must have practiced every sound so without even thinking about it, the words come automatically.

Reading music is much the same—the would-be musician must learn EVERY note and practice each so that without thinking, the note becomes an automatic part of the person. Then, and only then, can they actually “read” music and play a piano; and then, with diligent practice, they can play beautiful music.

Unfortunately, the girls (like the rest of us) would rather spring full bloom into super pianists without the dull training involved in learning and practice.

With some badgering on my part and a semi-willing attitude on theirs, they seem to be making progress. I love to see them smile when they “woodshed” and learn a song and then play it for anyone who will listen. Although they are doing well for their age and experience, they have much to learn, much to practice, and far to go to become all they can be.

I have come to believe that being all God wants us to be as a Christian on a daily basis is much like playing a piano—it is a learned activity that requires diligent learning and practice. Many of us think we can go to church, sing a few songs, hear a scripture and a short sermon, and then go forward to do battle with the kingdom of darkness and grow into pillars of the kingdom of God.

I think we must rather learn God’s word and put it into practice if we are going to become all we can be in His kingdom. It would be easier, of course, to be able to spring full bloom into spiritual giants, but like the piano, excellence comes from learning and from practice. We each have much to learn, much to practice, and far to go to become all we can be.

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.” Matthew 7:24-25 

♫ Practice makes perfect
Practice makes perfect
I guess if I practice then
Perfect I’ll be. ♫

No comments: