About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

du n du du ♫

Wow, this is a beautiful day. I suppose the old adage that it takes, uh well, I can’t remember what it exactly is; but something along the lines of ‘it takes something less desirable to make us appreciate the desirable.’ I’d rather that not be true, but today does look especially fabulous when contrasted with the long, long, long cold grey snowy icy winter. The tiny spring flowers are more colorful compared to the black and white season just past.

I think of Psalm 30:5 which reminds me that “weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.” Today’s sunshine and warmth is for me the joy of that morning after a night of winter.

When the first “great” spring day comes, I immediately think of resurrection. Every year, at least in southeastern Illinois, God demonstrates resurrection as Easter approaches. The beauty that was autumn gave way to stark, death-looking winter. The ice came and caused the dead twigs to cover the colorless ground. But then, usually in March, touches of green begin to emerge.

I think it’s the wheat fields that first display the promise of the resurgence of green abundance. Oh, I know they aren’t going to stay green all summer, but they do look pretty early. Then, little jonquils, daffodils, and crocuses miraculously push through the hard ground. Little by little, the grass lawns begin to show increasing patches of green.

The thermometer displays temps that begin with 6’s or 7’s and that big orange ball in the sky is again visible. Welcome back sunshine!

I wish there were a record button in life (and a rewind button occasionally) and I would record this weather today. I even agree with George Harrison, the Beatle, who wrote:

♫ “Here comes the sun, du n du du
Here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, du n du du
Here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, du n du du
Here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, du n du du
Here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right
It's all right” ♫

No comments: