He and his darling wife had three children, the younger two the exact age of our boys. Also, their last name began with “Rec” and ours “Red.” “So what?” you may say. “Important,” I reply. It meant that in school, the kids sat side by side and became close friends.
Not only did they sit together in classes, they shared common interests. The older two loved sports. They played together on teams and could both spout statistics of this famous player or that one. They were funny together—tall, handsome, and strong. The younger two (ours was male, theirs female) were fabulous music and theater performers. They sang together and played opposite each other in plays and musicals—both good looking, talented kids.
Their family had not been originally from here, but rather from Michigan. I said that to say that the unfortunate day came when they headed back to their roots. In addition, kids have a way of growing up and moving away, and life is never the same. But, remembering those years is very pleasant and more than a bit nostalgic.
I believe the dad is still a pastor, and one of their sons and one of ours are both pastors, too. We have, for several years now, been hundreds of miles apart and not ones that exchange letters or Christmas cards. However, we are Facebook friends. Today, on his Facebook post, the dad shared a simple, but powerful scripture, Proverbs 16:32.
There are some happenings in my life that make me want to put on my warrior hat and go charging into battle. I suppose it could be because I taught last week about recognizing resentful feelings from the past and throwing the rocks away instead of at the offending person. In my lesson, I taught, “Turn the page.” Almost always when I teach something like that, I get tested and things get worse. I did and they are.
So, Pastor John Records, thank you so much for sending me God’s words: “He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.”
♫ “Father let Your Holy Spirit sing
Let it calm this storm inside of me
As I stand amazed
Lift my hands and say
He is
He was
He always will be
Even when it feels like
there is no one holding me
Be still, my soul
He is.
Through every fear
And every doubt
In every tear I shed
Down every road
I'm not alone
No matter where I am
He is
He was
He always will be
Even when it feels like
there is no one holding me
Be still, my soul
He is.”
By Mark Schultz

No comments:
Post a Comment