There were two little girls already in the family and they were in a good-sized bedroom. We figured, if this tiny blessing was born with pink booties, we could put her in that bedroom too. After all, the Brady Bunch did that with Marsha, Jan, and Cindy.
Back in those pre-historic days, we did not have ultrasound pictures to show clearly the baby’s gender before birth. We had to prepare for both. I had purchased two going-home outfits—one pink and one blue. I was ready either way, but secretly hoped to use the pink one because if we needed the blue one, we would definitely need to find another place to live.
It was a Friday mid-morning when my husband and I went into the local hospital, but things moved slowly. Mid-afternoon, it changed rapidly and we flew (well the bed and I did) down the hall with the doctor running right behind. Moments later, a baby was born—and at a high rate of speed. Soon, I was back in my room, feeling really good for just having an 8 lb+ baby, baby boy that is.
Oops! “What are we going to do about a house?” was the unspoken thought in my mind. But then I saw him. He was without question the most beautiful baby. He didn’t have any of that tacky stuff on his head that some babies have to comb. His head was smooth and he had gorgeous blue eyes. I loved him immediately!
I could tell right away that his personality was different from the two girls I had given birth to a few years before—louder, more intense, stronger, and more smiley. What a doll!
I opened my suitcase that was so carefully packed some weeks earlier, found the two going-home outfits, unfolded the pink one, and walked down the hall until I found someone who had given birth to a girl. I gave her a gift, already laundered and ready for use. Then, I smiled at her, wished her well, and walked back to my room, never looking back.
Finding a new place to live was a small price to pay for our darling baby boy. Happy Birthday, Keith!
This is the song he chose for his baby boy but I would send it to him today:
♫ “Be strong in the Lord and,The Sidewalk Prophets
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,
God's got His hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why you're here,
Take your time and pray,
These are the words I would say.” ♫

No comments:
Post a Comment