
“Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?” And so begins the Alan Jackson song written about our country coming under attack at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
That is definitely one of the days I will long remember; days like the one in 1962 when President Kennedy was shot, the one in 1986 when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded, the one in 1993 when the compound at Waco, Texas, burned, and the one in 1995 when the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed. Oh, there are several others, but I remember those particularly because I was able to watch the details for hours on television.
So, where were you on September 11, 2001? It’s been nine years, and I can still see myself sitting at my desk in the corner of our office at the college when a co-worker’s husband called to say that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. We thought it was a small plane and pilot error. Then came his second call with the horrendous news of the second plane.
There was no television nearby except in the student union on the first floor, so our whole staff rushed down to find that a large crowd of students, faculty, and staff had gathered in front of the big screen. There was little noise; there was just horrified shock! In the moments, the hours, the days, the months, and the years that followed, the shock remains.
I remember watching many of our country’s leaders standing out on steps of the Capitol singing “God Bless America,” and thinking “Amen.” That was exactly what America needed. Oh that our nation would have retained that fire of seeking the God of our Founding Fathers and returned to a faithfulness to Him—you know the 2 Chronicles 7:14 thing, “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
Unfortunately, in the nine years since, our nation has moved farther and farther from the God who redeemed us by the blood of His Son. Again I ask you, “Where were you that day?” And I guess I want to ask you also, “Where are you today?”
Alan Jackson’s song continues with:
♫ I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man.
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran;
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young--
Faith hope &love are some good things he gave us;
And the greatest is love.

No comments:
Post a Comment