Well, we have been studying King David and Prince Absalom in Sunday School. You know, if I asked you about David I think you could give quick answers. 1) Did David love God? 2) Dig God love David? Then the speed and the assurance of the answers might slow down. 3) Was David a good king? 4) Was God pleased with David? Now the answers take an even bigger turn. 5) Was David a good family man? 6) Was David a good father?
So much of the problems of the Old Testament rested on parents’ failures to raise their children properly. God told the High Priest Eli that he and his family would be judged “because of the sin he knew about.” 1 Samuel 3:13. And speaking of Samuel, because his sons turned out badly, the people wanted a king. We don’t even want to get started on Adam and Eve’s parenting skills.
Anyway, back to David and Absalom. The younger one seemed to be using many of the campaigning skills of today in order to get “elected” as new king—act like you care about people and promise them the world. And, most important, lie, lie, lie! We are in a new campaign season. Let’s seek God’s wisdom as we prepare to vote and let us seek to really hear the hearts of the candidates. As handsome as he was, we don’t want an Absalom.
♫ “Open my eyes, Lord
I want to see Jesus
To reach out and touch Him
And say that I love Him.
Open my ears, Lord
And cause me to listen;
Open my eyes, Lord
I want to see Jesus.”
Monday, September 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment