About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Elvis and Abraham

For some reason I found myself today on “youtube” and, as usual when that happens, I was drawn to Elvis videos. I have loved listening to Elvis since before I was a teenager. I first saw him on our snowy-screened black and white television when he was on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1956.

One biographer has written that Elvis made a C in 8th grade music class and was told by his teacher that he had no aptitude for singing. I have also read that he wanted to be a gospel singer and auditioned for a group called Songfellows in 1954 but was not regarded as good enough.

Don’t you wonder how many of us have been told that we are not good at something and we, in turn, believed that assessment of ourselves? Have you heard kids being told (often by family members) that they are “stupid” or “good-for-nothing” or “worthless”? That is so sad.

I am reminded that our youngest and his very talented friend applied to be drum majors in the high school marching band but were told they weren’t good enough. I might mention that later our son became a marching band teacher for five years and revolutionized the band he led.

The bible indicates that we should not make hasty or premature judgments. I believe, further, that we should not accept others’ hasty judgment of us to be reality or to be the way God sees us. I have read that Abraham Lincoln was not seen as a capable politician the first few times he ran for office. I hope that we adults as well as kids, too, do not accept destructive criticism as the final word on our abilities but rather follow the leading God gives us.

Lincoln and Elvis both came to tragic endings in their lives, but proved to their critics and to us that they should not have been judged so hastily. Abraham Lincoln is remembered as one of our greatest presidents; and his Gettysburg Address, although largely ignored at the time given, is still memorized by school children.

While Elvis was judged as having “no aptitude for singing,” he was inducted into four hall of fames and may well have been the most famous singer in recent history. I read that through all his success, he retained his love for gospel music and especially southern gospel quartet music.

The last song on Elvis’ “He Touched Me” album in 1972 was “Reach Out to Jesus” by Ralph Carmichael. I wonder if he died singing this song.

Is your burden heavy as you bear it all alone?
Does the road you travel
harbor dangers yet unknown?
Are you growing weary
in the struggle of it all?
Jesus will help you, when on His name you call.

He is always there hearing every prayer
faithful and true
Walking by our side in His love we hide,
all the day through.
When you get discouraged
just remember what to do,
Reach out to Jesus, He's reaching out to you.

Is the life you're living
filled with sorrow and despair?
Does the future press you
with its worries and its care?
Are you tired and friendless,
Have you almost lost your way?
Jesus will help you,
just call on Him today.


I am reminded of the parable of the talents that we studied in bible school a few weeks ago. We are all given talents. Whether we are given many or few, we receive the same reward if we faithfully use what we have been given (even in the midst of hasty judgments otherwise).

No comments: