We do not have a lot of snow, but there is the forecast for more with high winds and single digit temperatures; and I hope others realize that a school bus out in those conditions is a dangerous thing.
As my office is open with or without bad weather, I generally do not pay much attention to the early morning announcements. Oh, we used to listen when the kids were home and in school. We would be hanging on every word the radio man would say as he gave the list of closings. We needed to hear it twice to be sure; one time might have been a misunderstanding.
But now, closings do not affect us much; and our biggest decision is whether to drive or have my husband drive me to work. Before I experienced my “getting older” health issues, I always drove, enjoying the snowy trek across town. After a couple of hospital stays, however, I avoid slickness like the plague—just another example of living in our own very small world.
Today was different; with the little girls temporarily living with us, we have become acutely aware of school and activity schedules. I was awake at 5 am listening for “the announcement,” thinking that if it came, the girls could sleep later (they hate to get up in the dark). No news! I dozed off and on, still keeping one ear tuned to the radio. At 6 am “the announcement” came—no school in our district. I made a call to my office answering machine to say that I needed to take a vacation day and I’d call later. A smile, a sigh, and back to sleep.
So far, it’s been a great day—we made both French toast and cinnamon toast. The girls are still in their pajamas and one mentioned that she planned to stay that way all day. She would be ready for bed. “But what if Grandpa wants to go get pizza?” I asked her. Also, they want their cousin to come over and play, but bad roads can get in the way for fun living. Again, I’m living in my very small world. But these days won’t last, the girls will go back home, and the house will be too quiet.
Today, as I watch the snow, I think of what Robert Frost said,
“Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.”
What did God say?
“Have you entered the storehouses of the snow?” Job 38:22
“Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” Psalm 51:7
Princess Diaries is on again, so I need to go watch it again, and color, and fix lunch.

No comments:
Post a Comment