About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, February 15, 2010

Letter and/or Spirit

In the eyes of one who makes a law, I would suppose that he expects the spirit of that law to be followed along with the letter of the law (I’m trying to organize my thoughts—not an easy task, lol). Let me back up a bit. In Sunday School, we were studying John 5, where in Jerusalem, Jesus heals an invalid who, with many other sick people, were lying beside a pool near the temple.

Jesus stopped to talk to one man. Why him? He asked the man if he wanted to get well. What? Jesus knew the man had been sick for 38 years (hmmmm). The man assured Jesus he had been trying to get well but did not actually answer the question. Jesus told him to 1) get up; 2) pick up his mat; and 3) walk.

Instantly, the man became well and strengthened. (I love the word “instantly) He obeyed the Word of the Lord, picked up his mat, and walked. Wow! That is incredible news! Everyone would be ecstatic; right? Wrong! Unfortunately (but not coincidentally), this was the Sabbath and the religious leaders were horrified that this man was carrying his mat (are they serious—an ex-paraplegic walking who happened to be carrying a mat).

Back to that letter and spirit of the law thing—this man was healed, delivered from a curse of the evil one, set free from a long-term horrible condition, and was given a chance for a new life! Hallelujah! He didn’t even know who to thank. But, the religious leaders knew who was responsible for this rule infraction—that young upstart from Nazareth who said he knew God. How dare he help this man on their special day? Who did he think he was?

But that was them—we would never act that way. Or would we? Do we sometimes blur the line between the traditions of men and the letter and spirit of God laws? Do we get so steeped in “the way we’ve always done it” idea to the point we think it is gospel? Do we think one particular kind of music is the one Peter and the eleven used in their services? Do we think Paul and Barnabus used the King James translation? Do we insist on “doctrines” of “our church” and disregard loving our brothers and sisters?

I’m in no way suggesting an “anything goes” view of Christianity, but rather an introspection of our concern for those around us. Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” As far as I’m concerned, that’s settled. Also, the scriptures admonish us in strong language on how to live, just as he strongly warned the man who was healed. “Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."

While it would seem that this man’s future rested on his own choices, Jesus gave him a second chance at living. Jesus demonstrated spirit of the Father—the law-giver—the Great Judge.

♫ "When I am down & oh my soul so weary
When troubles come & my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence
Until You come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up—to more than I can be."
By Rolf Lovland and Brendan Graham

No comments: