I have to tell you that I do always check the comment section to see if anyone had anything to say back. I like comments because it feels more like a conversation than me talking to myself.
Nevertheless, I do (as I suspect do others) talk to myself inside my head—social scientists call it self-talk. An author, Elizabeth Scott, describes it as, “the internal dialogue we use to view the world, explain situations, and communicate to ourselves…” and states, “The way we talk to ourselves, while generally formed during childhood, can follow us through our lives and color each experience like a *ray of sunshine or a **dark cloud surrounding us and blocking our vision.” She writes that our self talk can regulate our stress level, determine our perseverance, and affect our health and well being.
Before there were social scientists, there was the bible which addressed internal thoughts or self talk. Proverbs 23:7 KJV says, “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he…” What we think in our heart is our discussion with ourself.
A few years ago as a part of my job, I gave a career interest inventory to a group of eighth graders. It was designed to cause students to think about their likes and then would list some possible future occupations to fit those interests. Two students represented the extremes. One young man had many interests. He was an optimistic, cheerful boy with a quick smile (that *ray of sunshine thing). The girl next to him was the opposite—surly and petulant (talk about a **dark cloud). When the class reached the end of the interest inventory, there were many occupations listed on the young man’s pamphlet. The girl’s had hardly any matches.
He would be happy doing many different kinds of jobs. She was not going to be happy with anything (unless she was just a cantankerous teen who outgrew it later). It was evident—“as the teen thoughteth in his/her heart, so was he/she.”
I gave those teens a handout entitled “Choices” by an unknown author:
Watch your thoughts; they become wordsThe Apostle Paul said it a little differently in Philippians 4. He said to 1) Rejoice, 2) Don’t worry, 3) Pray, 4) Give thanks to Him, and then, “the peace of God will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” And Paul then concluded, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Watch your words; they become actions
Watch your actions; they become habits
Watch your habits; they become character
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny
I suggest we all try for that “*ray of sunshine” thing. Oh, and by the way, whether you comment or not, I love chatting with you.

No comments:
Post a Comment