About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

dkfjfjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Saturday, aaaaaahh. =) Well, sort of. We slept in this morning. That felt so good. One reason retirement sounds appealing to me is that very thing. All my life, I have had to get up at 6:00 am but have never adjusted to it. That’s a long time to not adjust—I have heard that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. I don’t buy that with early rising.

I know some people just naturally get up early. For some, sleeping until 7 is unthinkable. I would like to be one of those, at least I think so. For some, sleeping until 11 or noon is preferred. I’m not one of those. I would, however, like to wake up whenever without an alarm.

My youngest granddaughter hates to take a nap the two days she does not go to her pre-school. She is thrilled when it’s Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. No nap! Me, on the other hand, would like to take a nap. I may have fallen asleep the other day in the office, sitting straight up with my hands on the computer. My office is pretty cold and I had my big fluffy down coat on with the collar up (which might explain why my head would not bobble)to stay warmer. Suddenly I noticed my computer screen had gone dark and when I brought it back up, there were funny letters following the last sentence I had started.

The scriptures have several things to say about sleep:

•I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Ps. 4:8
•…for He grants sleep to those he loves. Ps. 127:2
•When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Prov. 3:24
•When you walk, they (your Father’s commands) will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. Prov. 6:22

I like those words and I’m kinda’ sleepy. However, there are also some warnings:

•How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. Prov. 6:9-11
•He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son. Prov. 10:5
•Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless man goes hungry. Prov. 19:15
•Do not love sleep or you will grow poor; stay awake and you will have food to spare. Prov. 20:13
•A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. Prov. 24:33 (hey, didn’t we just read the same thing earlier in Proverbs?)

The little girls are watching Parent Trap and I have clothes in the washer and dryer, so I could catch a short nap. But then there’s that poverty coming upon you thing.

♫ "Wake up, little Susie,Wake up..."

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I'm ready to retire. :)