I was thinking about yesterday’s post noting that obeying God does not guarantee the immediate rewards of comfort and ease as shown by Mary’s trip to Bethlehem and her unconventional birthing room, when Malachi 3:14 resounded inside. "You have said, 'It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements…” Whoa, that was awfully close to my thoughts. (Was He listening?)
Well, He had my attention. I read on in verse 15, “But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape." Uh-huh, He must be talking to me, because I was pondering those very ostensible realities. It certainly does appear that evildoers are doing well and that those who challenge God are succeeding in their campaign, both against Him and against those of us who carry His name.
The ACLU and the likeminded sort seems obsessed with destroying Christmas in particular and Christianity in general, and our ridiculous politically correct culture follows meekly along. I am so tired of “holiday trees” and “Up on the Housetop.” (Excuse me while I calm myself down)
Fortunately, verse 16 follows, “Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other…” Is that cool, or what? When I chat with “those who fear the Lord,” I realize that there is a whole kingdom out there who have chosen to join the wisemen and seek King Jesus. Hmmmmmm, there is the source of strength and encouragement—the kingdom or we might say the “church.” Did you notice that it’s important to get together with “those who fear the LORD,” and it’s also important to “talk with each other”?
If we think God doesn’t notice, read verse 17, "They will be mine," says the LORD Almighty, "in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son who serves him.” He notices!!! We get to be part of his “treasured possession” because He will treat us as His son. Wow! That’s better than Christmas.
Big finish with a terrific promise in verse 18 (get ready to shout “Hallelujah!)
“And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.”Yea! Now, the score may look unfavorably one-sided in the middle of the game or on the nightly news, but at the end of the game, GOD AND HIS PEOPLE WIN!

No comments:
Post a Comment