Monday evening, I sat down and wrote my blog entry about how important it is to control my focus instead of giving in to fear, worry, etc. Tuesday morning was our annual Workshop where all employees come together for general sessions as well as department-centered ones.
The workshop opened with a motivational speaker, Mr. Caperton. A few minutes into his presentation I was amazed. He spoke on the importance of our focus in our lives. He explained that he had made the decision years before to set his focus on being joyful; not that everything in his life was lighthearted and happy, but that as soon as possible after an unhappy occurrence he would return to a focus on joyfulness. He wanted that to be the norm with anything else being not the norm. His tool to create that norm, he explained, was his sense of humor.
He was a pretty funny fellow who believes that optimism is a choice and described “pessimism” with 3 P’s. First, pessimists think everything is Personal—“of course things would go wrong for me—lights turn red as soon as I approach the intersection.” Mr. Caperton pointed out how silly it was for me to have the perception that all traffic lights are just waiting for my approach.
In addition to being Personal, everything is Pervasive; it will always happen this way to me. There’s no reason to have hope for blessings because bad always happens. Again, the speaker described how silly it is to think the universe is poised waiting to rain on me.
Finally, he explained that not only is everything Personal and Pervasive, but everything is Perpetual; it will be this way forever. If I’m a pessimist, I can’t look for any happy ending because bad is chasing after me alone, continually, and everlasting. (Wasn’t there a character in Peanuts that had a dark cloud just over him?)
I needed to hear that gentlemen. He provided me encouragement to be thankful and joyful. He sought to persuade his listeners to choose an optimistic focus. As I think about this, if Jesus Christ, the risen Lord cares about me, I can’t be a pessimist. In fact. . .
♫How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing"
Chris Tomlin - How Can I Keep From Singing

No comments:
Post a Comment