About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, October 12, 2009

20 Years Later

Okay, so I missed a few days again. I sat down and started writing; but just as in your life, the tyranny of the urgent took over.

Saturday my office conducted a joint workshop with two other offices. We had four speakers—two state Congressmen, a motivational speaker, and a very practical message on financial literacy. That all may sound a bit dry but actually was surprisingly interesting and informative. I hugely appreciate people who have something to say and who say it in a way that is engaging.

Saturday night, my husband and I went to work at our restaurant so our daughter could attend a surprise birthday party for an old friend she had gone to school with two decades earlier. It is an amazing reality how quickly the past passes and how lives once lived so closely can lead to places so far away. I feel some tinges of responsibility for what those girls did with their lives as I was their Sunday School teacher for several years. It is difficult to know how much (if any) influence such teaching had on choices they made and the lives they are living.

Do we make a difference? I tend to give little thought to what the small children I see regularly will look like and live like twenty years from now. I simply appreciate their cuteness and their variety of personalities. As I sit here typing, I realize what a mistake that attitude is. Every one of those young lives is precious to God, and I’m thinking that He expects every one of us olders to help those youngers get to know Him and His ways—to be role models who say follow me to eternal life.

I’ve heard many olders say that it isn’t their “call” to work with children. Poppycock! I am reminded of two scriptures:
"And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.” Mark 9:42
Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." John 21:15

I guess I believe that Jesus would say to each of us that if we love Him, we will care about His lambs.

No comments: