About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Pots and Kettles

Today, I’m going to participate in what is commonly referred to as “the pot calling the kettle black.” I am the POT because routinely I take a long time to say something simple. I am affectionately called the novel when others want headlines.

I’m sorry about that, particularly today. In my defense, I just want everyone to have a good understanding of what is being said; and in my mind, that requires describing the colors, the motives, and the tone of whatever I’m trying to say. If you’ve read my blog, you already know that. You may have even joined my husband and sons in yelling, “Just say it!” Although I may use too many words, I do try to make myself understood.

Now, for the KETTLE. I received an email which contained a government memo about the program I work for and changes that have been legislated. It’s very important that I and others understand the specifics of this; therefore, I tried to read and even take notes on the memo. Now, this was not a brief memo; it contained 128 pages. To be fair, it also covered several other similar programs, and I read over those parts lightly.

I copied and pasted (that’s computer talk, but then again you’re a bit familiar with a computer if you’re reading this). I copied and pasted the pertinent sections; then I tried to read it again. One of my goals for tomorrow is to read it again to try to get a handle on what it says and what it means. I was struggling.

Remember the thousand plus page stimulus plan that the legislature passed without reading? I may know why. It’s too hard! Then again, many of the legislators are lawyers so they have studied the “legalese” language. Unfortunately, that’s probably who wrote my memo. As I make these comments, I think about how complicated many things have become. The income tax system is complicated. Electing a president is complicated (does anyone understand the electoral college?). Education is complicated for the state issues many directives and mandates. Even some churches, such as the one I attend, have levels of hierarchy that make complicated decisions which local bodies may not understand or agree with at all.

I’m reminded of Jesus saying, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.”

Popular for decades has been the term “KISS”—Keep it short and simple!” I have heard it the other way, too, but this was nicer. The government and I should both give it a try.

Note to self: KISS!

1 comment:

Princess said...

So you're saying your next blog will be short and sweet? LOL Just kidding mom!