Most of the people I know who read the Bible like to stay in the New Testament. Some love to read the gospels, some prefer the epistles, but scarcely anyone names Hebrews or Revelation as their favorite books. I must admit that I like Hebrews but there is a reason; namely, I find that it is the liaison book with the Old Testament. I love the Old Testament. I have often taught that the Old Testament is a fuzzy picture book of what God was going to do in the New Testament. Abraham’s offering of Isaac, Joseph, the Passover Lamb, and even the Arks are pictures of God’s plan for Jesus.
In the Rock Group, we have been going through the Bible book by book, and we have come through the five books of the Law and two books of History—Joshua and Judges. Today we studied Chapter 2 of Ruth. I love the book of Ruth probably for the same reason that I love the OT, it has stories with object lessons.
Let me digress. I have very little sense of direction and therefore struggle with knowing how to drive to any unfamiliar location; therefore, I so much appreciate following someone who knows the way. If I can see someone else get there, I can follow. If they hit a mud hole or a detour, I can see the result and adjust my steering to avoid the mishap. If they do very well, I can also copy that. (Also, my favorite cookbooks are those with pictures for obvious reasons).
That is why I like object lesson stories. If a character hits a mud hole or makes some mistake, I see what it looks like and the adverse results. In my own life then, I can adjust my attitude or behavior to avoid such a mishap. If they do well, I can copy that. I also get to observe how God intervenes in their lives and watch for Him to do that in my life. That way, I’m less likely to miss Him and more likely to know what He desires of me. You see, I’m a strong believer in the practicality of the scriptures—an operating manual for living on earth and preparing for heaven.
Back to the book of Ruth: there is a little phrase in 2:3 in the NIV that jumped off the page and into my mind. “As it turned out, she found herself working in a field belonging to Boaz.” Now, how many farms were around Bethlehem? How many fields were in all those farms? Was it a coincidence that this young lady, who was at a low period of her life and in desperate need of a job, was in the right place at the right time to meet the right person? I think not! “As it turned out,” this was the providential intervention of God, with unbelievably far-reaching results.
What is the object lesson? There are often times in our lives when we are at low periods and in desperate need of something. Could we expect God to be aware of our needs and have an answer? If it could happen to Ruth, it could happen to us! He knew when (time of barley harvest); He knew where (field of Boaz); and He knew who (a kinsman-redeemer).
There is a lot more we could chat about this part of the story, but you have to sit through the Rock Group to get in on that. For now, recognize that God knows and cares.
BTW, it’s a fuzzy picture!
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment