About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Plans

This used to be the day when the nation celebrated Decoration Day before being changed to the last Monday in May by Congress in 1968. The occasion was officially named Memorial Day in 1967.

All that being said, today is my memorial day. It is the day our second child, a son, was born. Let me back up a couple of years from that. We were just past our mid-twenties and knew we were at a fork in life’s road. We had a nice house, two cars, and two good jobs, but were we or were we not going to have any children? There were pro’s and con’s on both sides. One thing was certain—we should decide pretty soon.

The decision was made that the answer was yes (I don’t remember why). I had a terrific job, which I loved, teaching high school and summers were free. So, we planned to have the baby in May. Our plans worked perfectly. The baby was born in mid May. It was a darling girl with long fingernails. LOL

Well, we planned for one more baby, probably a son. A little more than a year later in the fall, I was pregnant again, due in May--just as we planned. This plan thing is great! Furthermore, spring babies are a good idea because the weather has been cool and everyone wears big coats. Also, the new baby doesn’t need heavy blankets, coats, etc.

May 30 brought our son--Memorial Day. There Now! Our plan was going well!

Then, the plan went awry. The baby looked great and very handsome—big, blonde, healthy. But, unbeknownst to us, he was not healthy. Soon, our little bundle left us for heaven. Our great plan crumbled. The house, cars, and stuff were suddenly unimportant. Our plan was irrelevant. We needed a change of plans.

In that time of great pain, God and His people reached out to us. We began a journey toward Him and toward His plan. In the years since that enormous loss, we have experienced amazing grace as well as the sense of humor of God. When scriptures say that He can make all things work together for good, it’s true!

Oh, there was a second child to raise, a darling girl. We were so thrilled she was healthy; it didn’t matter the color of booties. There now, the plan was complete. A couple of years later, however, another darling blonde baby boy came to join us. There now, the plan was more than complete. A couple of years later, however, another darling blonde baby boy came to join us. There now!(All three autumn babies)

Today, I have no plans, but to do the will of the great planner. It has long been our family motto, the verse in Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Still, today I miss my baby boy.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Thanks so much for sharing this very personal story...of course you miss your baby boy, today of all days...Proverbs 3:5&6...