I wrote some time ago about givers and takers so I guess that makes it old news. However, it came up again today, and I felt the same old feelings rise up inside. I found myself irritated with the taker but also with me for allowing that irritation to have such an impact. I should be able to glide past or over those bumps in the road of life.
A funny picture then popped up in my memory. It was a scene from Miss Congeniality, a movie with Sandra Bullock. In the film, she was an unfashionable and unkempt FBI agent chosen for an assignment as a beauty queen contestant. A coach was hired to transform the ugly duckling into a vision of charm and loveliness. Shortly after meeting him, he instructed her to glide rather than tromp down the sidewalk. Acquiescing, she tried to glide. Needless to say, it did not happen naturally.
That’s me today! Gliding over selfishness and self-centeredness does not in any way happen naturally for me. I feel as awkward and blundering as Sandra looked as she screamed at a passing driver, “I’m gliding here!” I felt my temper rise, a trait I would like to think was no longer a part of my pristine moral fiber. After all, I’m an older Christian adult, and I’ve been around the block a few times. I should be above all those petty emotions. Unfortunately, perfection does not dwell in me; but anger still does occasionally. Okay, pristine moral fiber is not a description I have yet earned. “I’m just a sinner saved by grace,” sings the Gaither Vocal Band and me.
However, on the other hand, there are people around me that are such givers, who give expecting nothing in return. They say kind words and do such kind acts by just being who they are. They are like “apples of gold in pictures of silver.” They make me smile.
So, Carol, step back and judge. Which is stronger? My anger? Or my thankfulness for grace and admiration for givers? Which is more advantageous? Which do I want to carry around? Which do I want on my mind as I lay my head on my pillow tonight? Which kingdom is represented by each of the choices? Which kingdom do I want to follow?
I can only judge for me. Someone greater than I wears the robes and will decide each person’s final fate. That takes a lot of pressure off my shoulders. I just need take my eyes off the takers and put them on the supreme giver.
Hint: He wears the robe!
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment