About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lighten up!

It is a beautiful Sunday! Chilly, but beautiful. I can’t imagine anyone preferring to live in the darkness when the light is so beautiful. The Message says in John 3 that “This is the crisis we're in: Godlight streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for the darkness. They went for the darkness because they were not really interested in pleasing God. Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates Godlight and won't come near it, fearing a painful exposure.”

As I read that, I think of our penchant for denying God these days in our nation. Determined forces are at work to go against Him and His Word with great force. Reading or listening to the headlines just confirms those efforts. It’s like the scripture above telling how men and women run for the darkness.

I don’t get it! Why would we, when given a choice, follow, “Over here, come over here to the darkness”? “Look, there’s fog, rain, drizzle, and dark shadows so you can’t see where you are going. You’ll be free to stub your toe or run into a wall or get hit by flying debris.” Why would we run to that?

Why wouldn’t we want to walk in the light? We could see clearly those things around us, and have a much greater chance of making wise choices. We could walk in knowledge and wisdom, evident because all was visible or the new popular word in government, “transparent.” We so much need the son-light!

I have been thinking and writing about light so much lately that I wondered if I was suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (not enough sunlight). Then again, it could be that farmer thing. Forecasts call for a dry week ahead, and excitement is running high among the agriculturalists. They are poised at the starting gate straining forward for the official start.

Ready, set, (as soon as it’s dry enough) go!

No comments: