About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, April 17, 2009

A Good Day

I am amazed, well surprised maybe. Since I am a bit cynical, I find myself astounded when things go well. Today I am thrilled because my staff and I went to a conference with several other programs like ours and the people there were so nice, knowledgeable, willing to share, and enthusiastic about their jobs. Now really, how many times do you come home from a meeting excited and eager to try what you learned? Some of this group had been together a few years ago, so I thought it would be fine; however, it was even better than I had envisioned.

Is that great or what! There are so often disappointments and/or mediocre happenings in my life that when something really good comes along, it just lifts my spirits and makes me smile. I know this was not a big thing in the great scheme of things, but it was an unanticipated blessing. That exposes a problem in me--being cynical. I find myself not expecting greatness. I often let past disappointments cloud my expectations, and those lowered expectations lead to lowered faith. In fact, the dictionary defines “cynical” as “unbelieving.” (Here is where I rebuke myself because I should know better.)

I know the scriptures teach that we are to fill our minds and meditate on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. I really don’t like admitting that I’ve not arrived. Well, that’s a better reason to keep practicing. One way to do that is to meditate on a verse, Ephesians 3:20 “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”
All that being said, I had a very good day!

No comments: