About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Where He Leads Me I Will . . .

Many times I have sat down to write in this blog and have nothing. Likewise, at times I have tried to write a song and find no words come. (Actually, I wrote a goofy song about not being able to write a song when I wanted to so badly).

It has been my experience, however, that if I will just start, words will come. My mind will settle and some degree of clarity will emerge. Often, I go back to the beginning and completely delete the first few paragraphs or song lyric lines yet discover an idea inside me that wanted to be expressed. Before that idea ever materialized, I just had to begin.

We have always heard it said that you can’t steer a car unless it’s moving and the rudder on a ship won’t work until the boat sets out. Perhaps that’s how God’s guiding spirit works. Perhaps we have to take a few baby steps forward toward God to allow Him to guide us into His will for us.

Joel 3:14 describes how most of us feel; “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision!”  The VALLEY of decision—it sure feels like a valley, doesn’t it? Being unsure of what to do is a place of insecurity, dread, and even fear—a low place like a valley. I, for one, would rather be on the mountain top where I could see all directions. I want to know how each option is going to work out and then I’ll make my decision based upon the best outcome.  

Down in that valley, there is no way of knowing what’s ahead. It’s like being in traffic behind a semi-truck—no view of what is down the road. The driver must drive blindly forward, constantly apprehensive about changes, hoping not to miss the signs for exit ramps.

Yet, sitting stationary there in that valley, it’s difficult to receive guidance. I want it to be like Isaiah 30:21, “Right behind you a voice will say, ‘This is the way you should go,’ whether to the right or to the left.” I want it to be that clear. I want to make only the right decision.

Perhaps that’s the whole thing about faith—trusting that as we take the first few steps while listening constantly for the voice of guidance, He will guide us. I picture a shepherd guiding a silly sheep with his staff, first tapping it on this side and then on that. I would prefer the shepherd go first and let me follow; but unfortunately knowing myself (and other silly sheep), I would get distracted or dawdle, wander off, and not follow.

Faith, it’s not an easy way to live! Yet, when Jesus asks in Luke 18:8, “When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” I insist that the answer will be YES!

For the multitudes and I in the valley of decision, may we move in the direction toward Him and find the guidance we so desperately need.

No comments: