The word “gospel” is from a word meaning “good spell” or “Glad tidings; especially, the good news concerning Christ.” When you think of the good news of Resurrection Day, the result is nothing less than “WOW!”
The darkness leading up to that morning was appalling. The very light of the world had been snuffed out and locked in a prison of death behind a huge stone guarded by a legion of soldiers. The men who could carry His message were hiding in darkness behind locked doors, terrorized by what they had seen.
Women, whose love and compassion habitually outweigh their wisdom, would let nothing stop them from honoring their Lord, even if all they could do was to give him a respectful burial. It mattered not to them that it was politically and religiously unpopular and physically difficult or dangerous. (Remember that huge stone and un-friendly soldiers.) Still, as women do, they thought with their hearts rather than their heads.
But, it was so dark since Jesus was gone. The light of the world was gone. Hope was gone. God was gone. Hope was gone, yes, but love was still alive. Laying despair aside, they still loved and that love would not be denied or restrained by fear. They needed to see Him, to fulfill one final act of love even in death.
If there weren’t enough difficulties, they experienced an earthquake near the tomb. Isn’t that like God? The challenge was really the answer. I suppose the earth shook when the angel kicked the stone open. (At least, I would have kicked it, if I were that angel.)
Suddenly, good news! The grave was open and empty! The light of the world rose even brighter. Can you visualize the emotional shock those women felt? That was better than the Red Sea opening. They couldn’t stop smiling. I imagine that Jesus couldn’t stop smiling, either. I hope he has been smiling ever since. I also hope because of the love of his welcoming committee that morning, he will be eager to come back for the rest of us.
♫ Lord I lift your name on high
Lord I love to sing your praises
I'm so glad you are in my life
I'm so glad you came to save us.
You came from heaven to earth,
to show the way
From the earth to the cross,
my debt to pay
From the cross to the grave,
From the grave to the sky
Lord I lift your name on high. ♫

No comments:
Post a Comment