About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thoughts from a Rainy Sunday

My head is so full of thoughts that I couldn't decide what to think about, so I sat down at the computer and began to type (I know, it’s not called “typing” any more) or rather “to enter data.” I almost have a headache because of the sheer number of thoughts.

First, I am thinking that today is a birthday day. Back in the 70’s, our firstborn joined us making a little family of three. A firstborn is so amazing, and we sat and stared at her in wonder. Little did we know, there would be lots more times of “wonder” that would follow.(LOL) She was our “practice” child; we were clueless on what to do, what to say, what to allow, what to expect.

Did our parental expertise improve with those that followed? No! Each one was so different that each brought a new set of unknowns. Were we and are we great parents? Oh, No! Did we want to be? Did we try? You bet we did and still do. You have to be as old and weathered as we are to understand that. Yet, we do love each of those blessings from God with all that is within us.

The second thought that fuzzies up my mind has to do with the church we attend—well, more accurately the hierarchy of that church. There are “levels” of hierarchy (thus the term “hierarchy” meaning “pecking order” or “chain of command”) in our denomination. Certain levels have taken stands that I oppose—some strike me as silly; some I think are blasphemous. Today, I am mulling the latter and wondering what response God would desire and/or require.

As I ponder what I consider to be an enormous error of the institutional church, I am reminded of my response to so many past questions I have been asked that began with “What do YOU think about…”. My answer is always the same…”It does not matter what I think, WHAT DOES GOD THINK about it?” I believe that passionately; so as I ponder, I wonder what God does think about it.

I fervently leaf through the scripture files in my mind. Jesus is our example; what did He do? Well, He sent Peter fishing to pay the temple tax even though it was HIS temple.(Matthew 17:24-27) That was a fairly passive response. However, on the other hand, He did actively turn the tables over, attack some temple merchants, and cause a big stir over the purpose of the temple. (Mark 11:15-17)

Jesus called the Pharisees and Sadducees a “brood of vipers” (Matthew 3:7) as their religiosity went against the God’s Word. Yet, He greatly disappointed all his followers by not overthrowing Roman tyranny and not conquering that political system to set Himself up as King.

I can’t remember a time when Jesus took on the “social ills” of His day but rather dealt with the “heart ills” of the people. He taught them about His Father and His Kingdom that was not of this world.

Those are two of my major contemplations; but there are also other concerns fighting for attention in my head—such as some modern young husbands who act like jerks (my personal observation); difficult weather issues from wet farmlands to homes and businesses destroyed by floods and fires; plans for an upcoming busy week; the choices of our national leaders as godlessness escalates; family members who are suffering with a stomach bug; a world sitting on a powder keg as nations seek wmd’s; and (always in the back of my mind) whether my program will be re-funded. Oh, yes, and what preparations need to be made for retirement.

I think I’ll give my mind a rest and take a nap.

♫ “I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.” ♫
Alabama from The American Farewell Tour

No comments: