More times than not, I fail to understand God’s hand or His plan and silently ask, “Why?” And yet, when there is no apparent answer, I reaffirm my decision to trust Him. I am committed to believing that He said and meant Matthew 28:20 “surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” even when I can’t see Him.
I remind myself of that today, as early this morning another close friend moved to her new home in heaven. The news of her unexpected hospitalization yesterday came as a shock. A day or so earlier, she appeared in perfect health, smiling and helping those around her. Then early this morning, even more unexpectedly, came word of her death. Those who knew her are left in disbelief at the terrible news.
Oh, our sadness is not for her as she loved the Lord and had lived a good life right up until the day she left. She has a darling husband that was literally her other half; we always thought of them as one. They had two children and three grandbabies they loved dearly.
She had been a high school business teacher (like me) for many years until her retirement not too long ago; and when I had substituted at her school some years back, she was the one who befriended me. She touched a lot of lives, young and not-so-young. Greatly respected as a bright, energetic, and giving person, she was active in our church, in the Good News Sunday School Class, in our social sorority, in quilting, and many other activities, I'm sure.
There are many of us who today want to shout at heaven, arguing that we still need her here.
The Good News Class has lost so much in the last couple of years. So much strength, so much talent, so much love has been lost. Yet, we were blessed to have enjoyed our years with those who have graduated to the next level of serving God, and certainly God has not left us but gives us His strength, His abilities, and His love.
We so much miss Martin and Richard. Today, I have to add Joyce’s name to the list. Today I miss Joyce. I loved her!
I am reminded of a song written by Dick Holler in 1968 about the deaths of well-known persons. I took the liberty of changing the words a bit.
♫ “Anybody here seen my good friend Joyce?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
I thought I saw her walkin' up over the hill,
With Martin, and Richard, and God.” ♫



1 comment:
Carol, This is beautiful. It is truth and expresses my feelings exactly. Thank you. Linda ♥
Post a Comment