About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Lessons from the Weekend

What a fun weekend—went to the Fox Theater in St. Louis to see “Stomp.” Wow, what a 90-minute long demonstration of pure energy and rhythm! Oh, yes, and without a word being spoken. I’m amazed at what people can physically accomplish with practice, determination, and (of course) natural ability. For one thing, try clapping your hands briskly for 10 minutes without stopping. Or, for that matter, try doing it for 5 minutes. Well, try 1 or 2 minutes. I did it for 1 minute and barely made it.

There is enormous training as well as conditioning and practicing needed for even one routine, let alone 20 or so all the while incorporating dancing feet. There were ten young men and two young women that danced, stomped, pounded, and played some form of percussion in solos, small groups, and often with the entire ensemble.

As I think about it, I saw some others at the Fox who have obviously trained, conditioned, and practiced for a certain outcome. They were young women who were dressed very nicely and wore 5-inch stiletto heels. Now realize, theater goers generally have to park several blocks away, make their way through a large crowded theater lobby, and stand for some extended time waiting for the interior doors to open.

Each of those young ladies walked effortlessly and seemed to maneuver without difficulty through the crowd of approximately 5,000. The rest of us, in FLAT sensible shoes, were content to find our seats with as little jostling as possible. When over, we trudged back to our vehicle. I’m sure the high-heeled ladies pranced back to their rides with no thought for their feet. Impressive!

So, how did those young ladies saunter in those shoes? My answer is the same way as the spirited dancers on stage danced—they trained, conditioned, and practiced. Maybe a better question is why? Again, I’m thinking for the same reason as the performers—the outcome (looking gorgeous) was worth the physical cost of the preparation.

Isn’t that why people exercise? Isn’t that the reason sports competitors do what they do, like runners who run multiple practice miles every day, like football players who thrive on getting mugged repeatedly, and like Iditarod racers who face temperatures far below zero, winds hazards, long hours of darkness, and treacherous paths?

Those watching such training may well question the wisdom at best or the sanity at worst of all those preparing for such events. Yet, we cannot at all question their commitment, their determination, or their resolve. We must, at the very least, admire their willingness to push on toward their goal, regardless of the price, the pain, and the sacrifice.

Oh that those of us who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ would display a modicum of such commitment to preparation and intensity of resolve to walk in His ways. Instead, we (me included) often seek padded pews, furnace/air conditioners, and an easy path.

This whole topic sounds like the famous axiom, “No pain, no gain.” Those first things I mentioned all require painful preparation. And, I just remembered—we also watched “Karate Kid 2” over the weekend. While I did not love the movie, it screamed the same message--the need for concerted preparation at a level of painful learning if one wanted badly enough to reach the goal.

Are we willing to study, to train, to condition in order to reach the goal of being an effective disciple of Jesus? How important is it to us?

No comments: