About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, February 18, 2011

In His Hands

I am often surprised at what I find easy to believe and the things skeptical about. Let me give you a couple of examples.

First, my husband and I went to an orthopedic surgeon yesterday for help with our right knees. It limits the distance I can comfortably walk or the time period I can comfortably stand. We had been reading about these treatments available for “aging” knees in which (as far as I can tell) a gooey substance is injected and it replaces the cushiony stuff that has worn down over the years. However, the doctor said before trying that, she would recommend a steroid shot. Okay, she’s the expert.

Well, I volunteered to go first because if my husband reacted badly, I would chicken out. I was determined not to react no matter what so as not to affect him. But, it wasn’t too bad. He told me later he had made the same decision not to react if he went first. Is that sweet!

So, are we going to see any effects? How long before we will know? Now, I have to tell you, I was skeptical of making a quick difference. But, I feel better.

On the other side, I do tend to believe things I read online. Oh, I know better than that, but I can’t help it. If it’s a topic I know about, I’m not easily convinced. But if I don’t know, I tend to think the report may be true. Strange!

I was watching the news again today about uprisings and protests at home (in Wisconsin) and those abroad. I read that a prominent Muslim scholar, banned for 30 years, is back and leading prayers in Egypt today, and that some think he may be the “12th Imam." I had never heard of that either.

Intrigued, I kept reading and was surprised that this is another version of the “end of days” on planet earth.
Articles said that “in the Shiite faith, it is prophesied that there is a coming 12th Imam who is their great spiritual savior, a descendant of Muhammad. He will return JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE WORLD, and his appearance will be preceded by a number of prophetic events during 3 years of horrendous world chaos, tyranny and oppression."

It went on to day, "He will rule over the Arabs and the world for 7 years (Does that remind you of anything?) He will eradicate all tyranny and oppression bringing harmony and total peace. He will lead a prayer in Mekkah with Jesus at his side.”
President Ahmadinejad of Iran claims he was “directed by Allah to pave the way for the glorious appearance of the “12th Imam.”

Apparently, three great religions are looking for the coming of a Savior: Christians are looking for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, Jews are looking for their Messiah, and Muslims are looking for their 12th Imam. The thing I find troubling is that with the third group, it involves “a violent path to conquer the world.” (Info from allaboutpopularissues.org).

But, then again, as I read the bible, Jesus isn’t coming back as a lamb but as a lion. See, the day of the LORD is coming —a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger— to make the land desolate and destroy the sinners within it. Isaiah 13;9

“For the day is near, the day of the LORD is near—a day of clouds, a time of doom for the nations.” Ezek 30:3

“Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision”
Joel 3:14

“While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly...and they will not escape.”
I Thessalonians 5:3

Since I’m just sharing rambling thoughts, I also don’t understand why government leaders who came out so strongly against the tea party protests are now encouraging protestors against a governor who is trying to pay his state’s bills.

Oh, one other thing, after paying into Social Security for 45 years, how can drawing it out be called “an entitlement?” Wasn’t it supposed to be a savings account that belonged to the ones who paid into it?

I could write some more things on my mind, but it’s time to go eat pizza with my grandsons.

♫He’s got the whole world in His hands ♫

No comments: