A few years ago, I attended a huge women’s conference called “Women of Faith” in St. Louis. It was at what used to be known as Kiel Auditorium, then the Savvis Center, and now the Scottrade Center. Anyway, it is a giant arena with a concourse all the way around it.
I chuckle remembering it. Since it was a “women’s” conference, all the bathrooms had become Ladies Rooms, which made sense. There are always long waiting lines for the necessary facilities; but that day, the lines were not so long.
I said all that to say that I earnestly want to be a “Woman of Faith.” However, I find life to be so daily. Living a life of great power as a spiritual giant (while doing ordinary, mundane activities) is problematic. I find myself to be just that—ordinary and a bit mundane.
However, I hate to admit that it gets worse. I find that I am even mundane in church on Sundays. Oh, I love getting together with the saints. I love Sunday School. I enjoy singing the songs of the kingdom and hearing the Word of God. Still, I fear I slip into lukewarmness which God and I both hate.
Yesterday, however, was different. In my last blog entry, I told you about Jeremiah and about the prayer meeting and the focus of the believing community on keeping his name before the throne of grace. There were others, too, that were “standing in the need of prayer”(aren’t we all?) We had been praying without ceasing.
Still, yesterday was different at church. As good reports came from Jeremiah and from others, rejoicing just broke out. Oh, there were still needs, but faith was beginning to rise.
Three darling newbie lay speakers gave short messages as their first speaking assignment. It felt like watching our own little ones sing at a Christmas program—we were so proud of them. But, they weren’t just cute. They spoke from their hearts, and God used them to speak a word in due season. And, maybe we had ears to hear.
The congregation sang differently, too. Praise rang out from our mouths and hearts. It was beautiful!
What was the difference? I’ve been asking myself that question. Was it just thankfulness for Jeremiah’s life? That may well be part of it, but it was bigger. Had prayer prepared us for a worship service? Yes, I think so.
Still, it was bigger. I think I have it, at least in part. We were in the presence of God Himself moving in our midst. It wasn’t us; it was Him. Wow!
♫ I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side
I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine. ♫
by Bart Millard, lead singer, Mercy Me
For a time, I was a Woman of Faith.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh Carol it was Him. Oh how I felt it! So glad you were able to be upstairs to be a part of it. I have been so high in the spirit since!
I thank you for all you do!
Love,
Brandy
Post a Comment