We finally made it through Revelation 1 yesterday in Rock Group. It is going to take some time to study all twenty-two chapters, but why hurry? It would be better, rather, to read and digest God’s word.
Well, maybe it took three weeks because I do so love that first chapter. The picture of Jesus Messiah is literally awesome. We noted that it is far, far different than the human Jesus we see being carried or walking around in the four gospels—starting with the newborn baby in the manger.
Just think, the Prince of Heaven gave up his GLORY to come to this planet. John 17:5 “…with the GLORY I had with you before the world began.” We may not really get that GLORY part, because we are so human.
Yet, picture this in Revelation 1:12-16 “I saw … someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. . . His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.” Wow!
That’s a far different portrait than the baby lying in an animal feeding trough or the man beaten and executed with criminals. If we focus our celebrations of Christmas and Easter on images of a red-suited guy or whimsical eggs, what are we thinking? We are so earthly! Romans 1:22-23 cautions “Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the GLORY of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals...”
I want us, and especially me, to be excited about the promise in Luke 21:25-28 “There will be signs…On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and GREAT GLORY. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
As I read the news, there is much anguish and perplexity on the earth and people are definitely apprehensive of what is coming on the world. Maybe those “Son of Man” and “GREAT GLORY” and “redemption” parts are getting very close. Now, that’s exciting!
Third Day sings a song. “Show Me Your Glory”
♫ I caught a glimpse of Your splendor
In the corner of my eye
The most beautiful thing I've ever seen
And it was like a flash of lightning
Reflected off the sky
And I know I'll never be the same
Show me Your glory
Send down Your presence
I want to see Your face
Show me Your glory
Majesty shines about You
I can't go on without You, Lord
When I climb down the mountain
And get back to my life
I won't settle for ordinary things
I'm gonna’ follow You forever
And for all of my days
I won't rest 'til I see You again
Show me Your glory
Show me Your glory
I can't live without You.” ♫
Music & lyrics by Mark Lee,Marc Byrd & Third Day
Monday, January 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment