About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mountains, Part 2

"On the road again..." I know that’s the way my last blog started, but it still describes our last three days. We have come home over the Blue Ridge Mountains through North Carolina—basically, a three-day trip by car. Beautiful? Absolutely! Enjoyable? Well, …yes! Comfortable? Absolutely not!

There were 5 of us packed tightly in an SUV—three adults plus a 7- and 5-year-old in booster chairs back in the third row seat. Luggage completely filled the area behind them, below their feet, and one side of the middle seat. It was a tight fit for a long journey.

In addition, we so much wanted some fresh peaches grown out there, and purchased a box at a roadside stand (I wish I could have brought 4 times as many). We plan to make and freeze several peach pie fillings. I will NOT be announcing the time and place when they are baked.

My husband drove most of the way, and I know it was not an easy task. There were many semi trucks as well as other heavy traffic on that highway traveling pretty fast for conditions, and it was indeed stressful—beautiful, but stressful.

Sometimes, living here in the flatlands of Illinois, I forget that God created the earth with such great variety. We saw beautiful tree-covered mountains, untold miles of sand beaches, acres of tobacco and cotton, huge luxuriant pastures surrounded by well-kept fences holding magnificent horses, long skinny towns nestled between mountain peaks, little villages and enormous cities, beautiful views of peaceful valleys, and shopping areas crowded beyond belief. I am so aware that God is not boring like I tend to be.

Now, we are home and I find that remembering our week in Myrtle Beach feels almost like a dream. We scurried from one activity to another. Oh, there were calm times in and around the swimming pools, and the fabulous sea breezes continually kept the pool area comfortably cool and even chilly as the thermometer read 90+.

The very best part for a mother/grandmother, however, was the reconnect with the family as a unit. Those adults with us were the little kids we traveled and played with a couple of decades ago. Now, we see them playing as well as fighting the same battles with their little ones. I would never want to “get even,” but it is fun to watch.

I hope we can give God as much pleasure spending time with Him as our kids and grandkids gave spending time with us this past week. I won’t take time to explain, but the theme song for the week may well have been “When the Saints Go Marching In” sung in two-part uh, well not exactly harmony, but rather rhythm.

One of our daughters was not able to go with us, and I guess I know just a bit about how God must feel when even one of His own is absent.

May not one be missing when the time comes for the saints to go marching and when His family will all get together!

♫ “Pom pom pom pom
Pom pom pom pom
Pom pom pom pom pom pom pom pom
Oh I want to be in that number
Pom pom pom pom pom pom pom.”

No comments: