About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Portrait

Sunday was Father’s Day, and although it was a hectically busy time for our family, we were still planning to get together for a few hours, to eat our second try at smoked brisket and ribs, and to catch up on one another’s lives.

As the matriarch of this dynasty, I was, of course, eager to gather my chicks to see first hand that everyone was well (and as happy as could be expected). I should mention, too, that as matriarch, I carry the title of “Grandma Dear” to five grandchildren—ages 7 months through 7 years. Seeing them is certainly one of the leading sources of joy in such times.

Another lasting source of joy is the photos that occasionally happen when all the grandkids are together. Grandmothers love pictures, particularly whole-family portraits or pictures of their grandchildren all together. With such, Grandma Dear can keep the memory fresh in her mind and can enjoy it over and over.

Father’s Day would be a perfect opportunity to get such a photo. Babies grow so quickly and change so much that first year, that each new stage is almost like seeing a child traded in for a larger, more mobile model. Our two babies are like that—one is now sitting up with a little help and the other is crawling and almost walking. It was definitely time for a new group picture.

As we were beginning to finish up the smoked meat and fixings, I decided to “line up” the little ones and take THE picture. I put one in a walker, had the older three kneel down around the walker, and then have the almost-walking baby stand holding on to the walker and to the 7-year-old’s hand. How hard could this be?

The answer is “very.” I couldn’t get the older ones to stay put. The youngest in the walker began to cry. The almost-walking one took up the wail and in a flash, all were out of sorts—not a good thing for a memorable group picture. I pointed my camera and snap, I gave it my best shot.


Maybe Labor Day.

No comments: