About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Glory, Glory Hallelujah


Memories can pop up unexpectedly and transport us back to an earlier time in our lives. Tonight, my farmer and I went to a diner we have eaten at for several decades. For me, it is a couple of decades longer as I went there when I was a little girl.

Lots of memories hide at each table and even the coat rack in the window. Our youngest as a medium-size boy one evening began to hang his coat on the crowded coat tree as it stood too near the front glass window. Suddenly, he lost his balance. It was immediately evident that the coat rack, the large number of coats on it, and the boy all were all going through that large plate glass window. Somehow, we got it stopped and spread the coats more evenly to keep it from being so heavy on one side. We have always been glad that a crisis at worst or embarrassment at best was averted.

Tonight, as we opted for burgers, we headed back to our favorite diner. On Monday nights now, a gentlemen and lady sing and entertain for a couple of hours. My husband commented that the crowd is mostly our age or older, probably because the style of music they play is a combination of country and classic rock.

The two singers are very talented and sing slow songs, fast songs, and those in between. Tonight, some of my favorites were Anne Murray’s “Can I Have This Dance” and Kenny Loggins “Footloose.” However, the great memory trigger was the medley Elvis sang as he closed his early 70’s concerts (in his white jumpsuits)—an American Trilogy. It is a combo of three songs (from the civil war I think)—“Dixie,” “Battle Hymn of the Republic,” and “All My Trials” returning to “Battle Hymn” for the big finish.

I remember watching Elvis on television and sighing (I didn’t cry like some of the teenyboppers), but I did love listening to that man sing. I still do. Every now and then, I visit the “you-tube” website and watch and listen to “Suspicious Minds” “You Were Always on My Mind,” and “In the Ghetto.”

It’s time to turn in for the night, but I know that there will be songs running through my mind—“Glory, glory, hallelujah. His truth is marching on.”♫

No comments: