About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, April 12, 2010

By This They'll Know

The church we attend is in a building that is the oldest or one of the oldest around (over a hundred years old). We don’t have too many bells or whistles like dozens of musicians (although the ones we have are terrific!) or a huge choir. We are pretty much traditional, but are seeking to follow the Lord into what He is doing today.

Some particularly neat ladies from a Sunday School class get together at the O-Cup one morning a week for a time of sharing, laughing, crying, encouraging, praying, etc. I don’t usually get to be a part because I am still, um…, well, awaiting retirement. But since I had some vacation days to use, last week I had the privilege of joining the group. Thinking about that time together, I am aware that that gathering is a great blessing.

The thing that draws me to that church body and this group of women is their hearts—their heart for the Lord and for each other. It is the manifestation of Jesus saying in John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

It is only when there is a confidence in love with no fear of judgmentalism that a woman is free to share the intimate joys or pains inside of her. (I’m guessing that to be true of men also) Perhaps the small group that gathers on Thursday or the much larger body on Sunday has come to understand that none of us wear the judge’s robe.

Remember the woman caught in adultery; the only one present who could condemn her and cast the first stone, did not. I so much appreciate the Lord and His people who approve of me, even if they don’t approve of everything I have done.

As the Gaither’s wrote and sing:
♫How could I boast on anything
I've ever seen or done
How could I dare to claim as mine
the victories GOD has won
Where would I be
had GOD not brought me
gently to this place
I'm here to say I'm nothing but
a sinner saved by grace. ♫

No comments: