About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Caught ya'

Do you remember the scripture in John 10:10? “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” I believe I had an epiphany and caught a thief. Exodus 22:7 indicates “the thief, if he is caught, must pay back double.”

If you read my blog yesterday, you found me to be somber, negative, and a little down. When I’m at my best, I’d rather not go before the King with a sad face. See Nehemiah 2:2, “. . .so the king asked me, "Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart." I was very much afraid . . .” Oh, I know, God is a lot more understanding that King Artaxerxes and He wants his children to come to Him with their cares and anxieties.

Still, in three days, there is the supreme celebration in the Kingdom of God as we commemorate the resurrection of God’s Son which accomplished our deliverance from destruction. So, why would I not feel celebratory? And then it hit me—that epiphany. A thief was working behind the scenes, under my radar, to steal my joy and prevent me from celebrating.

Suddenly, I remembered Isaiah 61:3,“to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.” That’s it! I needed to praise the blues away. I even wrote it in a few lines of a song on the way to work.
“I think I’ll praise the blues away.
Though my heart sees skies of gray.
He’s worthy of praise; my hands I will raise
I need to praise the blues away.”

It sounds like a soulful, twangy country song, doesn’t it? Well, anyway, the song may be corny but the words are true. A thief had stealthily inserted words, pictures, and circumstances into my life in order to steal my joy. The good news? I caught him. So, like Exodus 22:7 above, he should pay me back double in good words, good pictures, good circumstances, and joy.

I want to fully appreciate the awesomeness of what Jesus Messiah did for us on Good Friday and shout and dance with King David’s uncontainable exuberance as we celebrate the Resurrection and what that means for His past and present disciples.

♫ ”Put on the garment of praise
For the spirit of heaviness
Lift up your voice to God
Pray in the Spirit and the understanding
Oh, magnify the Lord.”♫

and

♫ “He gave me beauty for ashes
The oil of joy for mourning
A garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness
That we might be trees of righteousness
The planting of the Lord
That He might be glorified.”♫

No comments: