About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, March 15, 2010

"What kind of mischief. . ."

One of my favorite musicals is “Fiddler on the Roof.” It is very long and it describes the rather bleak life of Jewish families in Russia in the early 1900’s. Yet, in the midst of the poverty and difficulties, a faith in God lifts them above their conditions. I thought about that musical today as I was given the opportunity to practice my Christianity and grow a little fruit.

I shared some time ago from Proverbs 23:7, “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” I realize that as I think in my heart, so am I. Obviously, I should think about God’s directives, and really I seek to do that. However, there are many other things in my heart—many memories or snatches from here and there in my past. The one that bubbled to the surface was the quote from “Fiddler” as Tevye talked to God.
Sometimes I wonder, when it gets too quiet up there, if You are thinking, "What kind of mischief can I play on My friend Tevye?"

I have to admit, I feel that way, too. I just change the words to “my friend Carol” and then listen to see if I can hear God chuckling. So, while my mind was wandering around in the musical, I decided to share a few more of my favorite lines.
“I know, I know. We are Your chosen people. But, once in a while, can't You choose someone else?”

As Abraham said, 'I'm a stranger in a strange land.' " "Moses said that." "Forgive me. As King David said, 'I'm slow of speech and tongue'." "That was also Moses." "For a man with a slow tongue, he talked a lot.

Perchik: “In this world it is the wealthy who are criminals. Someday their wealth will be ours.” Tevye: “That would be nice. If they would agree, I would agree.”

Villager: “An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth!” Tevye: “Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.”

Oh, all right. I don’t want to live in a blind and toothless world, so let’s just let that “eye for an eye” thing go and forgive and forget. But there is still that song I refuse to let be played near me (too close to home):-(
♫Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older
When did they?
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears.
Sob, Sob. . .

1 comment:

Andrew said...

and one of my favorites...

Yente: "...if God lived on earth, people would break his windows!"