About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Lost in the Sixties (Part 2)

Forty-four years ago today was my wedding shower. We were juniors in college, and SIU’s spring break was a week away. We had decided some time earlier to get married over that spring break, and only our final exams stood between the end of our single days and our new journey of married life. Looking back, we didn’t have a clue what that meant. At the moment, it meant an easier way of life.

My husband-to-be lived with a group of guys a couple of miles from town and I lived with three “Linda’s” in a small apartment close to campus. No really, my three roommates that year were all named Linda—one was spelled “L-y-n-d-a,” but that didn’t matter when answering the phone. The caller always said, “May I speak to Linda?” Aaaagggghhhhh! As I look back, I realize I saw very little of them after the wedding. None of us shared a major so we had no classes in common and life changed. Actually, we were never together again after graduation. We each went our own way. How sad is that?

Fortunately, my husband and I have been together since. Life at SIU was easier after our marriage. We had a quiet, private place to study, a small black/white TV, and learned to fix simple meals so eating was cheaper and easier. Cream of chicken soup over toast became a favorite along with tomato soup with toasted cheese or banana peanut butter sandwiches. You get the picture—eating cheap! For those younger among us, you will not believe how a couple could manage with both working as part-time student workers on campus, having started those jobs as freshmen at $.85 an hour.

I know you will say, but prices were lower then. That’s true, but we still waited until we had enough quarters left over to hit the laundromat. We did have some vices—just across the street and down was a Spudnut shop which made fresh spudnuts (doughnuts from potato flour) throughout the day. If we could manage it financially, we would splurge by taking a break from studying in the evening to walk over toward the heavenly aroma. Also, there was a combination drugstore/bookstore/cafeteria called UD’s (University Drugs) which served meals. Meat entrees cost $.75 each, but veggies cost only $.12 per serving. Surprisingly, macaroni and cheese was considered a veggie so for $.36 a piece, we could eat a mac n cheese, peas, and corn dinner. I still love that combination—it’s called “eating a memory”.

It was in college that we learned to drink coffee (and drink it black because there were too many people in the student union between the coffee pot and the fixins’). In college, we became fans of “pizza” which hadn’t really made it to our small towns back home except for the drive-in movie concession stands. In college, there was an old Dairy Queen on the main drag, and if we could afford it, we would share a hot fudge banana split with whipped cream.

Those were great days especially since our basketball team was very good and students got season tickets. The two of us rarely missed a game. At that time, we had an outstanding player—Walt Frazier. Walt went on to play NBA ball, leading the New York Knicks to two championships, and was later inducted into the Hall of Fame. The night we won the NIT, we went out to the airport (along with hundreds of others) to welcome the team back.

We had no idea what the future would hold for these two kids from the sticks in southeastern Illinois. But, then again, things haven’t changed too much—we still go to basketball games, eat pizza, drink coffee, go to a doughnut shop, and when we get our Dairy Queen back again, may just go get a hot fudge banana split.

Do I remember the wedding shower or any gifts? No, but I do remember what I wore.

Deuteronomy 11:21 mentions the phrase, “as the days of heaven on the earth.” Does that describe our past 44 years? All things considered together, “Heck yeah!” May there be many more years to come!

No comments: