While getting off the elevator this morning, I met someone who works down the hall. We seldom see each other, but our paths occasionally cross. As with others in our building, we generally smile, give a pleasant greeting, and go our way. Today, however, she stopped, smiled too broadly, and said she heard I was retiring (it sounded like she meant now). I was stunned. Oh, sure, that possibility has been considered, but no plans or dates have been discussed and no preparations have been made. I didn’t know how to respond.
One of the advantages I have had in my life was the innate sense that people do not talk about me. I’m not sure how I managed to skirt that problem which often causes others such anxiety. My life and my personality are not particularly interesting (which is why my blog is often boring), and I can’t imagine why anyone would waste their time discussing me. That sounds like a self-putdown, but I don’t mean it that way. I’m just not interesting.
On the other hand, I am too busy with a mind too cluttered to discuss other people much. Oh, I may have a short chat in passing about someone who has had a cool blessing or needs prayer, but to hold long conversations about others adds too much clutter to the hard drive in my brain. I have too many dates and times to remember, like who has to be where and what they have to wear (and is it clean?).
Things have been so busy that I haven’t seen one of my grandsons for several weeks; and if it weren’t for pictures and short videos on Facebook, he would be growing up and getting cuter and cuter (and cuter and cuter) without me. Plus, my daughter went to the doctor today hopefully to hear that she can begin to walk on that broken ankle (6½ weeks post break). Tomorrow, my granddaughter is supposed to be in a gymnastics competition many miles away; our restaurant is catering a dinner; and I have stacks of laundry to do. I did get to see my other two grandsons last night, and it was wonderful to have them healthy enough to meet us for pizza. The baby is still coughing, but looks so much better (and getting cuter and cuter like his cousin).
You don’t want me to even start on my computer problems at work, plus the budget challenges and questionable future of our program. Add to all those, my concern about our country with an anti-Christian culture, a lack of morality, a burgeoning federal government, school finances being starved in the name of distribution of wealth, and other nagging distresses; do you think I have time or energy to gossip at length about someone? I can barely take care of me!
I assume everyone lives like that and that no one has time or energy (or desire) to talk about me. So, as I said, I was stunned to hear the retirement comment. Obviously, some people have been talking about me. They must not have enough to do.
♫ “You can talk about me
Just as much as you please
You can talk about me
Just as much as you ple-e-ese
You can talk about me just as much as you please
I’ll talk about you when I’m on my knees
All my sins are washed away
I’ve been redeemed.”♫
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment