About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

See Ya’ Later, Alligator

Something today reminded me of “sign offs” or the ways communications are brought to a close. For example, I personally avoid saying the words “Good Bye;” because they sound so final. I say “Bye,” “See you later,” “Talk to you later,” or just “Later” either by phone or in person, to mean this is short-term and because they more accurately describe my thoughts.

Occasionally, I use the term “Toodles” as short for “Toodle-do” as a cutesy way to say we will re-assemble soon. However, with the grandkids, “toodle” has come to be a polite description of, uh, well, of dealing with flatulence so I don’t use it as much.

If you are a texter, (the curse of current phone messaging) you know many popular sign off terms—“TTFN” (ta ta for now) or “B4N” (bye for now) or “BCNU.” BTW, texting has reached such epidemic proportions in 2010 that new Illinois laws governing it went into effect on January 1. I’ll admit, I text a bit but seek to limit and control it. I am aware that it can be not only dangerous while driving, but also an extremely rude habit if the texting is in front of others during a conversation or at a meal. If you are (or if I am) guilty of this, STOP IT! It is, IMHO (in my humble opinion), an addiction that may require intervention or deliverance.

Back to “sign offs,” Perhaps those we recognize may indicate how long we’ve been around. Today, there are many current terms that I neither know nor want to (LOL). There are whole websites devoted to “net lingo” used online and in texting. Often, the different generations within a household no longer speak the same language. It can feel like living at the Tower of Babel.

While contemplating sign offs, I came across some of these oldies. How many can you remember?
“Good day?” – Paul Harvey
“Good night and may God bless” – Red Skelton
“Bless your pea pickin’ heart” – Tennessee Ernie Ford
“Good night” (with ear tug) – Carol Burnett
“Grease for peace” – Sha Na Na
“Good day and may the good news be yours” – Les Nessman, WKRP in Cincinnati
“Smile, you’re on candid camera” – Allen Funt
“Sit, Ubu, sit!” – Family Ties

You may be aware that the last words said are those we want particularly remembered. Your mother had standard orders as you left the house—something like “Be good and be safe.” If you forgot everything, Mom wanted you to have those words for-evvvv-er.

The scriptures contain a wealth of great sign offs:
“Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" - Jesus
“My love to all of you” – Paul to Corinthians
“The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit” - Paul to Galatians, Philippians, and Philemon
“Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love” – Paul to Ephesians
“Grace be with you” – Paul to Colossians, Timothy, and to Titus
“The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you” – Paul to Thessalonians
“Peace to all of you who are in Christ” - Peter to God’s elect

Let’s remember and dwell on these sign offs.

“Th-th-th-th-That’s all folks!” – Porky Pig

No comments: