This was a gray day. While I’m grateful that the hurricane-like winter storm heading for the northeast is not heading for us, I am sorry for those in its path. The Weather Channel people pointed out that many if not most communities and states have already overspent their allowance for clearing snow-packed roads and streets. The ski resorts must be having a great time this winter; well, with the exception of Vancouver, the site of the Winter Olympics.
Even with the grayness of the day, it was a fun day. My son called the office this morning to ask if my granddaughter and I had remembered that it was “Racing Day” at pre-school (he had just taken my grandson to the morning session and was met with the same question). You’re right. We had not; and I even have the calendar at eye level on my refrigerator. No excuses! However, over my lunch hour, I hurried home to find something that could race.
We do have toys from ages past that have made their way upstairs for the grandkids, but apparently not racing-type toys. I looked in the toy closet and saw only two vehicles other than tractors—a big 4-wheel-drive black pick-up truck and an 18-inch long black “Batmobile.” Hmmmmm, which should I take? I was wishing for a Lightning McQueen of some size, but nope, just the truck and the black convertible with bat wings. I opted for the Batmobile and hoped my granddaughter would not have a meltdown when she saw it.
Presenting something like that to a sensitive (or maybe opinionated is a better word) 5-year-old takes great deal of skill and craftiness. I went to pick her up and asked if she remembered today was Racing Day. A look of shock and horror spread across her little face as she faced going to pre-school without her assignment. I could hear panic in her little voice as she asked what she was going to do with nothing to show. Then, I stepped in to save the day and showed her my prize racing vehicle—the Batmobile. She was thrilled! Whew!
She carried her Racing Day assignment into pre-school with great pleasure. I don’t have any idea how things went after I left or what the other 4- and 5-year-olds said when they saw our entry. I talked with her a bit this evening and she, with a little disgust, explained that no one won and no one lost. I didn’t press the issue. I was just glad we had an entry.
Do you remember the scripture that promises if we ask for bread, the Father will not give us a stone? He said it and I believe it, although sometimes I think the answer may look a bit different from what I expected. As I think about it, He may have given me a Batmobile-type answer. Well, even so, it was provided in love as was that shiny black plastic car to one of my darlings.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment