About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly What a Day!

Sunday, our SS class tech expert said his week had ups and downs. We all nodded, chuckled, and smiled giving assent to his statement, indicating ours likewise. With deeper reflection, I came to realize he was describing Real Life 101 on our planet.

My mind again went to a Disney movie in theaters decades ago and now on DVD—Robin Hood (remember I’m a long-time mom and now grandmother). For some background, the animated Robin Hood came out in the early seventies and in Disney fashion used “anthropomorphic” animals instead of people (you may need to look up that word—I did) to tell the traditional story.

I enjoy it because the tale is told by a rooster minstrel with the voice of Roger Miller, who also wrote several of the songs. Roger Miller was a singer/songwriter during our college days, and his unique voice and quirky musicality triggers memories of the sixties and SIU (♫“Trailers for sale or rent…King of the Road").

In addition to the rooster, Robin Hood and Maid Marian are foxes, Little John a bear, Friar Tuck a badger, Sheriff a wolf, and Prince John and King Richard both lions along with other animal characters. As in most kids’ movies, the music is whimsical and sets the mood for various scenes. That brings me to the reason my friend’s comment in Sunday School took me on this trip down memory lane.

The movie is a story of ups and downs, or rather downs and downs and downs and ups. So often Real Life 101 is that way. We can feel so far down that “up” doesn’t seem to be a possibility. A Roger Miller song from the movie expresses just that:
♫ Every town
Has its ups and downs
Sometimes ups
Outnumber the downs
But not in Nottingham.
I’m inclined to believe
If we weren’t so down,
We’d up and leave.

We’d up and leave
If we had wings for flyin’
Can’t you see the tears I’m cryin’?
Can there be some happiness for me?
Not in Nottingham♫

As in all good kids’ movies, the final answer is yes—days of happiness come to Nottingham. While I don’t in any way compare fiction to the scriptures, there is also a happy ending for Real Life 101 in God’s Word. We may have lots of downs; but in the end, a win. Revelation 22:21 (last verse in the bible) “The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.”

Wherever you are in Real Life 101, remember Galatians 6:8-10 “Let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.”

Back to my memory,
♫Robin Hood and Little John
Walkin' through the forest
Laughin' back and forth
At what the other has to say
Reminiscin', this-'n'-that ‘n'
Havin' such a good time
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
Golly, what a day!♫

No comments: