About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, December 11, 2009

Sweaters

I am really getting behind in my blogging. The days are passing too quickly with schedules too full. In addition to activities, my mind is cluttered with so many thoughts, plans, lists, concerns. I don’t know how other people’s minds work; but if mine gets overloaded, it becomes ineffective.

I have difficulty concentrating in the midst of mental clutter. I need to organize that clutter, prioritize the specific areas, focus on one or two at a time, seek to do what is needed, and then forget it and move on to the next. I give mental assent that such a plan would be way more efficient. However, the reality of such organization and maintaining it is, I’m afraid, futile. Other thoughts sneak up on me and worm their way into my mind—particularly those I have no ability to make a difference, such as personal issues in those I love.

Last night, the mental chaos manifested itself in my not being able to sleep. I could not get my mind off of argyle sweaters. Now is that worthy of losing sleep? I gave myself a stern talking to and insisted that I forget the darn sweaters and get to sleep. Do you know what happens when you notice you aren’t sleeping and you check the clock frequently? I imagine you do. The more one tries to sleep, the more awake one stays.

That’s fairly unusual for me—I used to be a terrific sleeper. Now, not so good, but still far better than last night. Well, at least I’m very sleepy tonight and SHOULD be able to sleep soundly. The scripture says in Proverbs 3:24 “When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” That’s my verse for the night.

Tomorrow I may try to find some mental file folders and get serious with organizing and prioritizing. Oh, wait, I have too many things going on tomorrow. Maybe the next day. No, that’s Sunday and there’s Sunday activities plus the children’s Christmas program. Maybe Monday. Yes, Monday it is. (I’ll let you know how that sweater thing goes)

No comments: