As I read Facebook here four days after Christmas, many have taken down all the Christmas decorations and are poised and ready to spring into the New Year. My husband says that I only have two speeds—slow and slower (he says that I don’t walk, I mosey). I guess that’s true with removing Christmas decorations too. Wait, I have an excuse—my granddaughters were in Florida for Christmas so we will celebrate when they get back. Therefore, I HAVE to leave up the seasonal décor.
While some love to get their house back in regular order, I get a bit depressed when plainness replaces the beautiful stuff. I love pine swags, holly, wreaths, tree ornaments, figurines, lots of red, and especially lights. Our house looks so warm, fun, and festive. Later, it just looks plain. Sigh! Oh, don’t worry; I’ll be fine when I adjust.
Today I had to wait at home for our regular exterminator examination, so I found myself watching TV at an unusual time. Because of the holidays, there is special programming with “marathons” on various channels. I found a marathon of Joan of Arcadia, a short-lived series which ran several years ago. I must have been one of the few who liked it since it didn’t last long, but today as I watched, I remembered why I liked it so much.
In the show, God appeared as different people to high schooler Joan (of ARCadia—get it?) and asked her to do things that seemed out of her want to’s and her abilities. By the end of the program, she would see how her changed attitudes and actions made positive changes in the world around her. None of her family and friends knew who was leading her or why she did such unusual things.
The show wasn’t particularly scriptural and didn’t fit organized theology, but I loved the idea of God being so up close and personal in the affairs of people. I also loved the idea that God might not be light years away, unknowing and unfeeling what earth-life is like. We might not want Him to give us those kookie things to do, but many of us would like to help others. Joan never knew what those around her were going through and what they needed (just like us) but God knew (just like Him). I wonder if maybe He really is that close, personal, and involved and we just don’t know it. Hmmmmm!
God is … an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment