About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, December 4, 2009

A Christmas Contrast

I just picked up my poinsettias today from the hospital auxiliary, and now I feel like Christmas season is here. They remind me much of this festive season. I have ordered from the auxiliary for several years, and it forces me to actually get and display the beautiful blossoms. As a deep-rooted procrastinator, I would otherwise just wish I would buy the plants for a decoration but not get around to it.

Today I am trying to get some more decking the halls completed. I love the decorations of pine and pinecones with red bows and berries. I love the music of the season. I love the times of fellowship with family and friends. I love hot orange-cinnamon tea and cookies and candles and pictures and, of course, the cheesy movies. I look forward to all these trappings of the season.

However, we have begun to watch the movie “The Nativity Story” in Sunday School; and as the scenes from it settle in my mind, I realize that “the season” activities above do not accurately reflect the night of Jesus’ birth. They are traditions we have come to associate with the season.

In the movie, we are confronted by the reality of stark living conditions, of brutal Roman and local rulers, of oppressive taxes, of life far different from my house. We are reminded that young Mary was in danger of being stoned by her community for being pregnant as from the Law in Leviticus 20:10, “If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.”

We see soldiers who seize children in place of tax money that could not be paid. We hear the sounds of pounding horses’ hooves, shouting, and crying. We feel the fear and hatred as the descendents of Israel again plead for a deliverer. We meet wealthy scholars from the east choosing to face enormous hardships to make the journey to the new king.

The realities of then and now have little in common, with one notable exception—a need to seek God. As we put up our decorations and sing “Joy to the World,” we have seen who the baby is. He is undeniably the deliverer, and we continually reap the blessings of the deliverance he brought. But, we continue to need Him as much as those from the earlier time. Deliverance by a baby boy--indeed cause to celebrate with great joy.

♫ Joseph was looking for a place to sleep
His life was changed by a baby boy.
Mary had secrets that her heart must keep
Her life was changed by a baby boy.
They were glad; so glad.
They were glad; so glad.
Their lives were changed by a baby boy.

I was searching for something I could not name
My life was changed by a baby boy
I gave him room and now I’m not the same
My life was changed by a baby boy.
I’m glad; so glad.
I’m glad; so glad.
My life was changed by a baby boy.

By Bill and Gloria Gaither

No comments: