About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Mom Always Liked You . . .

Each time the phone rings, I hold my breath and wait to hear if our daughter-in-law has gone into labor with our new grandson. The arrival of grandchildren is so precious that I sure don’t want to miss it. I am so eager to meet our new tiny gift. His cousin is only three months old, and has grown, getting cuter by the day. How exciting to watch two tiny boys grow and join the older three in play.

As I think about this new little life and the other four, I am reminded of the four children growing up in our home over the years. The most frustrating part of that dynamic was the ongoing “who’s the favorite” or as the Smothers Brothers used to say “Mom always liked you best” comments. Although grown, they still bring up that evaluation occasionally.

I’m pretty sure that it will take having multiple children of their own to understand the erroneousness of such a comparison. I don’t have a pecking order of love for my kids. I know each of them inside out (except for what they have hidden from me) and know each one’s idiosyncrasies, quirks, and strengths. They are each precious in my sight. Do I love one more than another? Absolutely not! Would I help one more than another? Absolutely not! Have I always treated each one exactly the same. Of course not! However, I have always sought to give each one everything that they needed (not necessarily wanted) if it was humanly possible. In that respect, it was exactly the same.

As I write these words, the truth of the Scriptures echoes in my mind. God has many, many children. John 1:12 says, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God…” He knows each of us inside out (nothing is hidden from His sight) and he knows our individual idiosyncrasies, quirks, and strengths. We are each precious in His sight.

Does God love one more than another? Absolutely not! Romans 2:11explains, “For God does not show favoritism.” Would He help one more than another? Absolutely not! James 1:5 indicates “. . .God, who gives generously to all. . .” Does He always treat each one of us exactly the same. Of course not! He said in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD.” Does He give us all exactly the same things? No, He gives us what we need. “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

Isn’t it tempting to look at others who seem to have more advantages and think “God must love them more” or “Why can’t I have. . .?” Maybe that’s why God wrote the 10th commandment, “You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

I have had a wonderful opportunity to practice that commandment for several years—my next door neighbor has a swimming pool, but I don’t covet it. Really. Who would want a swimming pool? Okay, I’m still practicing.

No comments: