My times are in your hands. . .Psalms 31:15
I have mulled that scripture over and over—particularly if I’m late and stuck in traffic, or if I’m late and hit all the stoplights wrong, or if I’m late and get behind the slowest driver on the road, or if I’m just late. Then I begin confessing “My times are in your hands,” but there is a part of me that believes that the first part of all those scenarios (the “I’m late” part) is actually my fault. I slept too late. I dawdled getting ready. I didn’t allow myself enough time. I hadn’t checked to see if my clothes were clean and ready.
Those are generally the realities, but I use the peace brought about by the “My times are in your hands,” to keep from getting upset and becoming a candidate for road rage. However, I often find that my times do work out for good. Now, I’m not proposing that as an excuse to do the irresponsible, but I have seen God work in spite of my shortcomings.
Today was one of those times. I needed to go to WalMart, but I didn’t want to do that. So, I procrastinated. I tried to do some “stuff” sorting, some laundry, and some TV watching with what I think was a short nap. Then, there was no more putting it off. I needed to go. We had no Cheerios and especially no French Vanilla coffee creamer for breakfast. Some things we can do without, but not creamer.
Saturday afternoon WalMart was like full-blown Christmas season with the parking lot full of cars. “Oh,” I groaned; “what was I thinking?” I parked, made my way in, and hit the candy aisle. My plan was to get candy for three of my grandkids, not for Halloween, but just because I love them. I would have sent some treat to my other grandson, too because I love him, but he is too little to eat anything treat-like.
Anyway, I got the treats, the coffee creamer, and the Cheerios. I grabbed a few more things on my way to the front only to realize that I had more than the 20 items—the limit for the express lanes. Sigh! I made my way to the first aisle with a light on (which was of course half way down the store) only to find it had a couple of shoppers with huge carts ahead of me. The next aisle was the same story, so I went on down the way and got in line. Bigger sigh!
Just then, a dear friend finished her shopping and pulled her cart in behind me. Hallelujah! Her husband is the one I mentioned a day or so ago who is fighting cancer with every ounce of strength he can muster. I had not had an opportunity to talk with her or give her the hug that we both needed for some time. Being there in that line together gave us the chance to reinforce the love that I hope gave her a tiny break from the fierce battle she is waging for her husband’s health. We both desperately needed to hold on to each other if just for a moment; it was like a life preserver.
I waited as her items were checked, and we walked out together, pushing our carts full of what seemed so unimportant. By God’s timing and grace, we had been given the glorious opportunity to walk through this little piece of life together. My friend has not been out of her house for days, and rarely for weeks. Today, her son came to stay with her husband so she could run short errands. The timing was perfect.
My times were in His hands. Thank you, Lord!
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment