About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

In Our Time Make Them Known

I heard a man say today that each day brings it own set of unique circumstances—some good and some full of adversity. I often wonder why there are so many challenges in life; perhaps, they increase with the aging process as well as the aging of one’s circle of friends. Or, perhaps, the intensity of the challenges is what increases with age. Or, maybe age has nothing to do with it. I have very recently talked with two friends that are fighting cancer, and I know several others facing varying degrees of that disease.

I chatted with a young Christian woman with a great personality and a beautiful heart for kids. She has been a kindergarten teacher for several years, and in countless little lives, she has been involved in pointing them to a brighter future. The other is one of our very dearest friends. We love him with all our hearts which is why his illness is so personally heartbreaking. Other dear friends are also battling the same malady, and we bring them all before the throne of grace.

I am reminded of a verse in Habakkuk 3:2, “LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known. . .”

We so much need the power of God. There are many, many healing and help scriptures in the bible which we need to see manifested, such as Ephesians 3:20 “Now to him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.” I guess I’m a bit concerned about that last part, “according to the power that works in us.”

There is a line in the children’s TV show, “Little Einsteins” when the little kids yell, “We need more power!” That is us! We need more power at work in us—in our spirits, our souls, and our bodies. We have been brainwashed to doubt that God’s power is for today. How crazy is that! Why would a God who is (a) the great creator, (b) “the same yesterday, today, and forever”, and the (c) the one who said “believers will do even greater things,” be unwilling to show his power today? He would not!

I know, believing for greater works than Jesus is believing for a lot, but I remind myself that Jesus is the one who said it. It was His idea. He bought and paid for it. I Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.”

For my dear friends battered by the kingdom of darkness, “Father, renew your deeds in our day, in our time make them known.”

No comments: