About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Brighten Up!

♫ Rejoice in the Lord always,
And again, I say rejoice.
Rejoice! Rejoice!
And again, I say rejoice.
Rejoice in the Lord always,
And again, I say rejoice.

This is part of a little scripture chorus from Philippians 4 that I need for today. Sometimes I forget to rejoice. I get lazy. I get pre-occupied. I get anxious. I get blah—especially on cold, cloudy days (like today). Are any of those good things? I think not!

Yet, there are situations rumbling beneath the surface of my consciousness that leave me vaguely distressed. I’m not unhappy, angry, or even grumpy; I’m just not cheerful, and I regret that. I have allowed those underlying circumstances to be an internal weight; so, I need to have a little chat with myself.

Carol, you are concerned that a granddaughter is sick today—not terribly sick but has a combination of allergies to October as well as a nasty cold. As a fan of radiant health, anything less is definitely less. Then, there are those scary words floating around about the flu. But, I remember, “God exalted Jesus…and gave him the name that is above every name,” above the name of flu and all other sickness.

There is also a concern about the weather because of farmer husband. Planting was so late and the summer so un-hot and un-sunny that crops have not grown and matured as they should. Mix that with a fall that is cold and wet and you have a harvest emergency.(Where was global warming?) I am so sorry that this agricultural crisis hit our area just as the economy is suffering with job losses, salary cuts, and the looming threat of higher taxes and medical uncertainty. But, I remember:
Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the LORD,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord GOD is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds' feet,
And makes me walk on my high places. Habakkuk 3:17-19

Well, I’m feeling better. “Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice!” Do you know how that part ends? “And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” That’s what I need—a heart/mind guard!

♫ Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand;
But I know who holds tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.

No comments: