About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Busy Signal

Tonight, our program celebrates our seniors with a Senior Banquet. Much planning has gone into it, and we have gone to great lengths to make it very special for them. We have been decorating today, and provided for them a wonderful meal. They are each getting a gift that we hope will knock their socks off. They will have bobble-head dolls with their faces on them, and candy bars with specially designed labels. It will be a bash fit for a VIP.

The amazing thing to me is that some of our seniors do not choose to come to this free banquet with splendid gifts. Some wanted to come but had other necessary commitments, and I totally understand that. We will get their gifts to them. But others are just not interested. They don’t know what they are about to miss.

As I shake my head and marvel at that, I am reminded of the “cannot come” story in the bible about some people who did not know what they were about to miss.
Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'
But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.'
Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.'
Still another said, 'I just got married, so I cannot come.'
The servant came back and reported this to his master. “I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet."
And later in Revelation:
For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." Then the angel said to me, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!'
I guess there are many people among us who are too busy to prepare for that banquet. They don’t know what they are about to miss.

I just didn’t realize that there were so many cows for sale.

No comments: