Several times today I checked the computer weather radar. I have done that for years for a couple of reasons. First, being a farmer’s wife requires it. Secondly, baseball and softball games and practices also rise and fall with weather. Don’t assume that the official rain watcher always wants it not to rain. It is “timing” that decides whether to pray for clear skies or rain.
For the farming thing, see if you can follow this: in the late winter we want it to rain to get the underground water table up. Then, in spring, we want it not to rain so we can get the seeds planted in optimally dry soil and the plants will send the roots deep. Then, we want it to rain just the right amount to allow the seeds to spring up and grow. We want it not to rain too much or the seeds will drown or rot. But, we need it to rain about an inch a week through June, July, and August. Then we want it not to rain, so we can get into dry fields to harvest the grain without making ruts in them. Then, we want it to rain to get the water table up.
Now, for the ball things; we want it not to rain so we can practice on the diamonds. Then, if we have too many games in a row, we want it to rain because our pitchers need rest. Then we want it not to rain so we can play. We want it to rain to keep the grass green and the dust down, but not too close to game time.
Thinking beyond those, it occurs to me just how critical water is. Our bodies are about 60% water, and much of our lives, health, hygiene, and environment totally rest on our water supply. How do we react to a small lack of water? What if it is a great lack such as a drought? I remember studying about the “dust bowl” of the 1930’s and famines in Africa. I remember reading that Elijah told King Ahab it would not rain for 3 ½ years and it didn’t.
A couple of other scriptures come to mind. As the deer pants for water, so my soul pants for you, O God. And, blessed are those who thirst for righteousness. Do I seek God with the same intensity and passion as I seek a drink when really, really thirsty?
Tonight I have a mixture of issues--baseball needs rest and softball needs to practice. I need to go get a drink and pray for rain on one field and not the other. Sigh!
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment