About Me

My photo
As complex and occasionally capricious women go, I suppose I am one. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, a teacher, a friend, an aspiring song writer, and a retiree from work outside the home. Whew!

Monday, April 6, 2009

Cookies

A smiling lady came into my office today and offered me a little plastic bag of homemade cookies. In the bag was a friendly little note stating “Jesus is alive and came to set us free from sin.” The cookies were wonderful, and so unexpected. I don’t know who she was or where she came from. She appeared, gave me the gift, said “God bless you,” and then disappeared.

What a feeling it left inside me, and I am still amazed at that gift. Some one or ones took the time to plan, bake cookies, sort them, put them into little bags, prepare a little gospel note, and deliver them to our offices. I am humbled by their benevolence.

Yesterday, in the Rock Group Sunday School class, we watched a part of a video made from the book of Matthew--the part showing the trial, beating, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus. One little scene particularly spoke to me. It said that from the 6th hour to the 9th hour darkness came over the land. Then, Jesus cried out to God in a loud voice to ask why He was forsaken. (Don’t you think God had to turn his face away from our sins that his Son carried on his body?)

Anyway, I was drawn to the statement that when Jesus cried out, someone standing there immediately ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. That someone went against everyone else there in choosing to help Jesus. That one couldn’t change the circumstances. He couldn’t do everything. But, he could do something!

Just like the lady who visited our offices today--she couldn’t do everything to spread the gospel to our world or even our town. She couldn’t do everything. But, she could do something. Would people be receptive to her? Would they frown, criticize, and reject her? Maybe, but she could do something.

What if each of us did something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to pass out cookies - or do something! Love ya Carol!! -Andi